How we birth matters and has life-long ramifications inspiring or undermining our confidence and sense of competence.
It contributes significantly to our understanding of ourselves as women and as mothers. How a child is born sets the stage for his or her life with us, and influences physical and emotional health and well-being.
May these resources help you to choose, with care, how you birth.
Articles & Guides
- Embracing Your Labor: Creating a Nurturing Birth Environment (by Judy Luce)
- Eating Safely During Pregnancy, Journal of MIdwifery & Women's Health
Suggested Reading for Pregnancy & Birth
I have many of these resources at my Berkeley home office, which clients are welcome to borrow.
- Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth, Ina May Gaskin
- Adventures in Natural Childbirth: Tales of Women on the Joys, Fears, Pleasures and Pains of Giving Birth Naturally, Janet Schwegel and Pam England
- Journey into Motherhood: Inspirational Stories of Natural Birth, Sheri L. Menelli
- Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, Deepak Chopra and David Simon, M.D.
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful, Gurmukh (with a forward by Cindy Crawford)
- The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth With Confidence, Judith Lothian and Charlotte DeVries
- Gentle Birth Choices, Barbara Harper
- The Birth Book, William Sears and Martha Sears
- Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May Gaskin
- Natural Pregnancy Care, Aviva Jill Romm
- Birth Reborn, Michel Odent
- Homebirth, Sheila Kitzinger
- Women Giving Birth, Rees, Limburg and Smulder
- Hearts Open Wide, Wellish and Root
- Seasons of Change, Suzanne Arms
- Giving Birth, Sheila Kitzinger
- Rediscovering Birth, Sheila Kitzinger
- Childbirth Without Fear, Grantly Dick-Read
- Active Birth, Janet Balaskas
- Touching: On the Human Significance of Skin, Ashley Montague
- Preparing for Birth with Yoga, Janet Balaskas
- Birthing from Within, Pam England (selected chapters)
Suggested Reading for Breastfeeding & Early Parenting
- Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You, Renfrew, Fisher and Arms
- Breastfeeding Your Baby, Sheila Kitzinger
- The Year After Childbirth, Sheila Kitzinger
- The Happiest Baby on the Block, Dr. Harvey Karp (video)
- The Post-Pregnancy Handbook, Sylvia Brown
- Natural Health After Birth, and Naturally Healthy Babies and Children, Aviva Jill Romm
- The Natural Baby, Janet Balaskas
- The Baby Book: Everything you Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Two, Sears & Sears
- After the Baby’s Birth: A Complete Guide for the Postpartum Woman, Robin Lim
- Heading Home with your Newborn: From Birth to Reality, 2nd ed., Laura A. Jana and Jennifer Shu